Monday, October 31, 2005

Daddy's Girl



Chapter 3, Part 2

RaeAnne stared unseeing as the road blurred before her, anger still boiled her insides. Maybe she should just go back to Illinois and leave Grayson to fend for himself. Dad and Mom would be around to help should he need it, and she'd be back on holidays to see Eva. Her heart thudded against her chest, and reminded her of the promise to her sister. However, currently her anger won out, as it always did.

She had no idea how she'd made it to her parents home so quickly, but all the better! Stepping out of the car, she side stepped her parents mutt Hoover, named so because he ate everything in sight. "No time for games today, Hoov, I'm movin' on." She let the screen door slam behind her, and she stomped up every step. Grabbing up the phone, she dialed her friend Angela's number. "Hey, Ang."

"Rae? How are things?" Angela's concerned voice was welcome.

Sighing, Rae started to pack her clothes into her suitcase again, "I'm coming back."

"Already? What's going on? How are your parents?" Angela seemed as confused as she was.

"I'm not needed around here, apparently. My parents are both in shock, so their continuing with their schedules. Too busy to entertain their youngest daughter, I suppose. And, it seems Grayson is going along with things. He needs no help, so I'm not needed. I'm coming back. Case closed, no discussion needed."

Angela sighed, and Rae could picture her crossing her arms, leaning against the counter in her kitchen. "Well, I can't tell you what to do, but I do know that all you're going to do if you come back here, is think about them. Just remember I told you that, you know I'll be glad to have you back."

Nodding, as if Ang could see her, Rae zipped her suitcase, never one to travel light she grabbed up the next suitcase. "I'll be there as soon as I can. Hopefully by tomorrow morning, at the latest. I'm up for one of our famous movie nights, care to call the gals and get it set up?" A smile tore at her face at the thought of the movie night.

"Sure thing, hon, you just make sure you're really ready to leave." with that, Ang hung up leaving her to listen to the complete silence that was her parents home.

Another sigh, and she finished packing the second suitcase ready to tackle the third and final one when Hoover bounded up the stairs jumping into the open case. "What are you doing, you goof?" she asked, ruffling his fur.

He barked and flashed her a doggy grin, as if to say 'you know exactly what I'm doing.'

Shaking her head, she chuckled, "Funny how a dog is the only one who cares if I stay or go anymore." Sitting on the bed, she picked up the small dog and set him in her lap, burying her face in his fur. Tears fell one after the other, and before she could stop it the torrent of emotions she'd been bottling up began to re-surface.

Slowly, a grogginess that came with tears and the lack of sleep descended upon her, and she welcomed the darkness that descended when she closed her eyes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home