Friday, December 08, 2006

"Too Tall, Too Dark, Too Handsome"chap 10

Chapter 10

The sun rose in the sky, announcing Christmas morning, however Shea didn't want to open her eyes. Fear of what this day would bring nearly choked her, and she took a deep breath.

"Good morning, sunshine." Kent whispered, from beside her.

"Is it safe to open my eyes?" she wondered aloud.

"If you don't you won't see Miss Lilly, she's awake. Check out your Christmas miracle, Shea."

Slowly, she opened her eyes to see Lilly propped up in Kent's arms. Tears of joy burned her eyes, "But how? When? Why?" she asked, completely amazed as he lay Lilly in her arms.

"Dr. Sloan came in during the night, and we worked on Lilly. Come to find out this little fighter was not as hurt as she pretended to be." he smiled as he ran a finger down her cheek. "She has two broken ribs, and a broken arm. Other than that, Lilly will be just fine. Once the bones mend you can take her home, and celebrate Christmas again."

Shea looked at the man she now loved, watched as he struggled to stand and limped toward the door. "Kent! Wait!" she shouted, uncaring of the nurses were now watching her.

"What is it Shea?"

"Would you celebrate Christmas with us? I don't want you to leave." she said finally, looking at him hoping to convey every feeling that now welled up inside of her.

"Do you mean that Shea?" he asked, coming to kneel in front of her.

She nodded, "You're the one thing I'm certain of. You're the man I've waited for, the man I didn't think existed. If I didn't know that before, I know now. Watching you take care of Rick like that, seeing you with Lilly, knowing who you are, what you are. I cannot turn away from this now, you're it for me."

A smile stretched his face, "Good, then I won't have to return this..." he whispered, reaching into his pocket and producing a jewelry box. "O'Shea McMalley, would you marry me? I love you." With that, he opened the box to show a beautiful solitary diamond engagement ring.

She felt herself crying and smiling all at the same time, "Of course I'll marry you, Kent."

--

Kent sat surrounded by his family and friends, with Shea and Lilly at his side. It seemed a perfect way to bring in the new year. They'd made an agreement to tell the family once the countdown for midnight began. Now at 11:59, he smiled at Shea and tapped his glass with a fork. "Excuse me everyone? We have an announcement to make!"

"Oooo!" squealed his mother, winking at him.

He couldn't help but feel giddy, he was going to be married and somehow their relationship had come full circle. Within a few months Kent and Shea would be standing at the altar, instead of him ushering and her bursting in through the front doors.

"Give us the announcement already!" his sister yelled over the start of the countdown.

"We're engaged, Shea has agreed to marry me!"

The place errupted into congratulations, hugs and well wishes, and cheering as the new year came in.

Shea turned to him, "Thanks for everything, Kent. Somehow I didn't see this coming a year ago, when I ran into that church. I simply thought you were some guy, too tall, too dark, and too handsome for his own good."

He kissed her softly then grinned, "Maybe, just maybe I was too tall, too dark, too handsome and too for you Shea McMalley. I love you."

The End

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home