Saturday, November 12, 2005

"Daddy's Girl"



Chapter 5, Part 1

Grayson adjusted the baby monitor so he could hear it if Eva should need him, before he plunged into the drawer full of Lizzy's things. He smiled at the folder full of medical reports from her doctor's visits, the ultrasound pictures of Eva. Using care, he set them aside and reached in to empty out her pairs of socks that rested atop another pile of papers. Letters from her father's sister, the only aunt she had. He frowned at the memories of her Aunt Elizabeth Rae's reaction to his call when he'd had to relay the news that Lizzy, her name sake had died. Pushing past the memories he set the letters on top of the folders.

A manilla colored envelope caught his eye and he grabbed it up curiousity bubbling up as he tore at the opening. With one hand aloft, he dumped the contents onto the bed before him. A leather bound book, two hospital bracelets, a folded piece of paper and a key fell out with a thud. Frowning again, he picked up the journal first feeling the need to be close to Lizzy, and hoping the journal would explain the random mixture of items.

October 15th

Raeanne called today, she told me she is pregnant. I was sure if I told Daddy, Mama or Grayson that not only would they be disappointed, they'd tell me not to help her. How could I leave my only sister, and that tiny life alone? How can I not help? My heart longs to be with my sister once more, I love her so much. I have missed her over the last year, the summer together was lovely. Now she has found herself in this unfortunate situation of her own making. God help me but I cannot find it in me to be upset with her.

I told her we'd work something out, a plan is already forming in my mind. I will help her, I know it'd devious and untruthful to my husband, but I'm going to support them financially. That poor baby who will never know it's father. It deserves a good life. Eventually everyone will know about him or her, but while things are like they are I will help. The bond between sisters is once more strong, strong with purpose and the future. Should this plan fail, God, please let Gray understand.

Elizabeth

His hand fumbled the book, tears burned his eyes. How could she betray him like that? Thinking he wouldn't understand was worse than the fact that she'd given money to support Rae's illegitamate pregnancy. But what had happened to the baby? Was there even a baby? His curiousity more peaked than before he fingered the tiny hospital bracelet and the bigger one. The bigger one read, Raeanne McGinty April 30th. He squinted to read the tiny bracelet which read, Evan M. McGinty, with the same date. The frown between his brows deepend. He settled onto the bed and flipped to the next page in the journal. It seemed several journal entries were regular everyday occurances, with no mention of Raeanne at all. He wondered if Lizzy had stopped writing just in case he'd stumbled onto the journal. His fears were unconfirmed though as he stumbled onto yet another. A date he remembered well.

November 26th

Today is Thanksgiving, usually it is a day that fills the McGinty home with joy and love, but this Thanksgiving was quite the opposite. Rae showed up, quite unexpectedly. I, of course, was ecstatic to see my little sister and her growing tummy. Not that I could mention this to the whole of the McGinty clan! It seemed she was bent on disagreeing with everyone to get them mad at her, just in case I had divulged any information. Her defenses were all up, she even fought with Gray. The two of them are like cats and dogs when they are put together in one room at times! I swear it! Finally, when my sister and I got some time to ourselves we got to talk like old times, things will never be the same between us, but that is okay. I still love my sister and her growing baby as well. She's already begun to think about names, possibly Elizabeth for a girl or Evan for a boy. I told her Elizabeth is such an overused, tired name! However, my sister is quite the stubborn woman. Once she gets her mind set on something it is not something one can change! Oh well, I shall pray it's a boy, for the child's own sake!

Elizabeth

His heart thudded as he lifted the paper and unfolded it, another journal entry. Why had it been removed from the journal? Automatically he knew.

April 4th

I got a call this morning from my sister, it seems something went wrong with the pregnancy. Evan Michael McGinty was born early this morning. A stillborn. I am too upset to write anymore. May the sweet nephew I never knew, rest in the arms of the Father in peace. Until I can see you once more, Evan, I love you.

Aunt Elizabeth

Folded inside the paper was another paper, a copy of a death certificate for the baby. Tears now coursed down his cheeks as he thought of the pain his sister-in-law must be in with seeing her niece without her sister or her own child. He had to show her support, could he tell her he knew? He looked down at the still mysterious item from the envelope. The key. What was it? Would Raeanne know?

--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home